Dog Week: Grain Free Dog Treat Recipe
Many dog treats use oats, which I'm not a huge fan of, mostly because I don't eat them and I'm one to just try and make with what I have in my pantry. I also wanted to keep the recipe simple and easy to make. As fun as it is to break out the cookie cutters - and yes, I do have dog bone-shaped cutters and mini ones for training purposes - it's just a huge mess to clear out space to roll out dough. Not to mention more to clean! I have a bad habit of letting my dishes sit in the sink, so the less mess, the better!
I managed to come up with these treats based on what I had in my pantry: a range of nut flours, almond butter, and eggs. If your dog is barking up the paleo tree, these are actually perfect for him or her. They are free of grains, dairy, and sugar.
Of course, if paleo isn't your style, you may use peanut butter and regular flour.
This also gave me the perfect excuse to break out Sir Mix-a-Lot, as he had been feeling neglected.
Grain Free Dog Treats
- 1 cup flour (I used a mix of coconut and cashew flour)
- 1 cup nut butter
- 4 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Roll into 1" balls and place on the baking sheet. If desired, you may smush your balls into flatter circles. The cookies will not "melt" into cookie shape so if you decide to keep them in a ball they will retain their shape.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
bribe your dog into loving you, share treats with your tail-wagging dogs!
Want more Dog Week fun? Check out these other posts:
Have you made dog treats before? Do you have a favorite recipe?