Get Crafty! Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve - Literally.
Hi Friends! I just wanted to write a quick post about a fun DIY I did this week. Elbow patches! Sounds like an old man or vintage trend, right? Nope!
While perusing Pinterest, I noticed every once in awhile that someone would post a photo of a sweater or cardigan with heart elbow patches. I was in love! Instead of scouring the earth to buy some for myself (I don't have the best luck with buying clothes online) I decided to do what I do best. Make them myself.
The problem is, I can't sew. I could never sew a straight line, even with my mom's hand-me-down sewing machine. So this was a challenge.
Apologies for the iPhone photos. I was really excited to post these right away!
Here are the very rough instructions for what I did.
- Embroidery Thread
- Cookie Cutter
001. Using a cookie cutter, trace out a heart shape onto the felt. Cut it out.
002. Put the cardigan on and mark an X were your elbows are. Use this as a guide.
003. Place the heart over the X and pin it to the sleeves of your cardigan. If you want to make sure it's in the right spot, put the cardigan back on but be careful of the pins!
004. Thread your needle and sew the patch on.
005. Remove pins and revel in the fact you just sewed something!!!
And that's it! Obviously you can trace the heart using a template from your computer or freehand it (too risky for me). You can also use different kinds of fabric and thread and you can put this on a sweater, cardigan, or jacket.
You can now literally wear your heart on your sleeve.
Want a better tutorial? Here are some great ones with detailed photos/video and instructions.
I'm so excited about this. I actually now want to do it to ALL of my sweaters and cardigans... too much? Haha. This is also perfect as Valentine's Day is a month away. Whee!
So will you give this a try? Or ever take a leap with a craft you're not so great at only to find out it ended up being wonderful? Share in the comments!